23 September 2015
- Donnelly, Jack. “Cultural relativism and universal human rights” (1984) Human Rights Quarterly 400 (20 pages).
- Dijk, Pieter van. “Common Standard of Achievement-About Universal Validity and Uniform Interpretation of International Human Rights Norms, A” (1995) 13 Neth Q Hum Rts 105. (18 pages)
Perry, Michael J. “Are human rights universal? The relativist challenge and related matters” (1997) 19:3 Human Rights Quarterly 461.
- Jack Donnelly, “The Relative Universality of Human Rights” (2007) 29:2 Human Rights Quarterly 281-306
- Douglas Lee Donoho, “Relativism versus Universalism in Human Rights: The Search for Meaningful Standards” (1990) 27 Stan. J. Int’l L. 345
- Engle, Karen. “Female Subjects of Public International Law: Human Rights and the Exotic Other Female” (1991) 26 New Eng L Rev 1509.
- Lewis, H. “Between Irua and Female Genital Mutilation: Feminist Human Rights Discourse and the Cultural Divide” (1995) 8 Harv Hum Rts J 1.
- Fareed Zakaria & Lee Kuan Yew, “Culture Is Destiny: A Conversation with Lee Kuan Yew” (1994) 73:2 Foreign Affairs 109-126
- Sweeney, James A. “Margins of Appreciation: Cultural Relativity and the European Court of Human Rights in the Post-Cold War Era” (2005) 54:02 International and Comparative Law Quarterly 459.
Donoho, Douglas Lee. “Autonomy, Self-Governance, and the Margin of Appreciation: Developing a Jurisprudence of Diversity Within Universal Human Rights” (2001) 15 Emory Int’l L Rev 391.
Shany, Yuval. “Toward a general margin of appreciation doctrine in international law?” (2005) 16:5 European Journal of International Law 907.
Dembour, Marie. Following the movement of a pendulum: between universalism and relativism (Culture and rights: anthropological perspectives. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2001).
Ostrovsky, Aaron A. “What’s So Funny About Peace, Love, and Understanding? How the Margin of Appreciation Doctrine Preserves Core Human Rights within Cultural Diversity and Legitimises International Human Rights Tribunals” (2005) 1 Hanse Law Review 47.
Brems, Eva. “Enemies or allies? Feminism and cultural relativism as dissident voices in human rights discourse” (1997) 19:1 Human Rights Quarterly 136.
Spielmann, Dean. “Allowing the Right Margin: The European Court of Human Rights and The National Margin of Appreciation Doctrine: Waiver or Subsidiarity of European Review?” (2011) 14:1 Cambridge yearbook of European legal studies 381.
Vyver, Johan D Van Der. “Universality and relativity of human rights: American relativism” (1998) 4 Buff Hum Rts L Rev 43.
Sloane, Robert D. “Outrelativizing Relativism: A Liberal Defense of the Universality of International Human Rights” (2001) 34 Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law 527.
Koch, Ida Elisabeth. “VIII. LEGAL PLURALISM IN THE HUMAN RIGHTS UNIVERSE” (2001) Human Rights on Common Grounds: The Quest for Universality 139.
Reidy, David A. An internationalist conception of human rights (Wiley Online Library, 2005).