28 September 2015
- Vienna Convention on the law of treaties, Article 31
- Killander, Magnus. “Interpreting regional human rights treaties” (2010) 13 SUR-Int’l J on Hum Rts 145 (18 pages).
- Benvenisti, Eyal. “Margin of appreciation, consensus, and universal standards” (1998) 31 NYUJ Int’l L & Pol 843 (11 pages).
- How should human rights contained in international treaties be interpreted?
- Do human rights evolve over time?
- What is the “margin of appreciation” in human rights law and how does it operate?
- Kerstin Mechlem, “Treaty Bodies and the Interpretation of Human Rights” (2009) 42:3 Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational law 905.
- Hutchinson, Michael R. “The Margin of Appreciation Doctrine in the European Court of Human Rights” (1999) 48:03 International and Comparative Law Quarterly 638.
- Kratochvíl, Jan. “Inflation of the Margin of Appreciation by the European Court of Human Rights, The” (2011) 29 Neth Q Hum Rts 324.
- Rasilla del Moral, Ignacio De la. “The increasingly marginal appreciation of the margin-of-appreciation doctrine” (2006) 6:7 German law journal 611.
- Greer, S. C. The margin of appreciation: interpretation and discretion under the European Convention on Human Rights (ed. Council of Europe, 2000)
- Alastair Mowbray, “The Creativity of the European Court of Human Rights” (2005) 5:1 Human Rights Law Review 57 -79Letsas, George. A theory of interpretation of the European Convention on Human Rights (Oxford University Press Oxford, 2007).
- Dothan, Shai. “Judicial Tactics in the European Court of Human Rights” (2011) 12:1 Chicago Journal of International Law 115.
- Drzemczewski, Andrew. “The sui generis nature of the European Convention on Human Rights” (1980) 29:1 International and Comparative Law Quarterly 54.
- Kilkelly, Ursula. “The best of both worlds for children’s rights? Interpreting the European convention on human rights in the light of the UN convention on the rights of the child” (2001) 23:2 Human Rights Quarterly 308.
- Letsas, George. “The truth in autonomous concepts: How to interpret the ECHR” (2004) 15:2 European Journal of International Law 279.
- Orakhelashvili, Alexander. “Restrictive Interpretation of Human Rights Treaties in the Recent Jurisprudence of the European Court of Human Rights” (2003) 14:3 European Journal of International Law 529.
- Wildhaber, Luzius. “The European convention on human rights and international law” (2007) 56:2 International and comparative law quarterly 217.
- Mechlem, Kerstin. “Treaty bodies and the interpretation of human rights” (2009) 42 Vand J Transnat’l L 905.
- Folkesson, Emelie. Human Rights Courts Interpreting Sustainable Development: Balancing Individual Rights and the Collective Interest (Erasmus Universiteit, 2011).
- Dzehtsiarou, Kanstantsin. “European Consensus and the Evolutive Interpretation of the European Convention on Human Rights” (2011) 12 German LJ 1730.
- Letsas, George. “Strasbourg’s Interpretive Ethic: Lessons for the International Lawyer” (2010) 21:3 European Journal of International Law 509.
- Letsas, George. “The ECHR as a living instrument: its meaning and legitimacy ‘” (2013) 2 Constituting Europe: The European Court of Human Rights in a National, European and Global Context 106.
- Wicks, Elizabeth. “The Meaning of ‘Life’: Dignity and the Right to Life in International Human Rights Treaties” (2012) 12:2 Human Rights Law Review 199.
- MR Hutchinson, “The Margin of Appreciation Doctrine in the European Court of Human Rights” (2008) 48:03 International and Comparative Law Quarterly 638-650
- E. Brem, “ The Margin of Appreciation Doctrine in the Case Law of the European Court of Human Rights” (1996) 56 Zeitschrift für ausländisches öffentliches Recht und Völkerrecht 240-314
- O. Gross & F. N. Aoláin, “From discretion to scrutiny: Revisiting the application of the margin of appreciation doctrine in the context of Article 15 of the European Convention on Human Rights” (2001) 23 Human Rights Quarterly 625
- G. Letsas, “Two Concepts of the Margin of Appreciation” (2006) 26:4 Oxford Journal of Legal Studies 705
- James A Sweeney, “Margins of Appreciation: Cultural Relativity and the European Court of Human Rights in the Post-Cold War Era” (2008) 54:02 International and Comparative Law Quarterly 459-474